10.14.2006

sweet

My new "I don't give a fuck" attitude has been working wonders. Last night was very enjoyable - I took time off to get gourmet ice cream with my friend Todd, and spent some more time goofing off with my roommate (meaning he drove me back to the garage to pick up an extra set of keys, as I again locked mine in the cab).

I did a larger amount of personal business tonight than usual. Recently I've added a guy I knew in college as a regular customer, and tonight I added the kid who washes dishes at the ice cream place, who I've driven before. He moved here alone at 18 from Mexico, and is putting himself through school. I've driven him before - just an extremely nice guy who's been working extremely hard at making a better life for himself. He doesn't tip, but I really like him a lot. I'll be happy to run out of my way to pick him up.

Not much in the way of crazy stories tonight. My last fare and I talked about politics. I typically get annoyed when talking about politics with people up here, as most are misinformed and/or naive and/or overly simplistic (George Bush is a moron is what it always seems to boil down to). This guy was none of these things, and he was drunk, so the conversation was fun.

Something he said leapt out at me - "the genius of these guys [Republicans] is that they've managed to equate dogmatism with patriotism and pragmatism with disloyalty." As someone who studied the phenomenon a great deal in school, this is perhaps the most concise and accurate definition of facism that I've ever heard. Fun times here in the ol' U.S. of A.

Something else mildly amusing happened, but I forget and don't particularly care. I accidentally gave the gas jockey a 50 instead of a 20 when I filled up at the end of the shift, and didn't realize my mistake until I got home. But, alltogether now...

"I just don't give a fuck."

I am a very zen cabbie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cabbie X said...

Glad you're feeling a bit more at ease, Crabbie. When I started driving hack, I worked my ass off, 5 days a week, 12 hours a day. Talk about no life! I have it down to 3 days now, and when I want to go eat, run an errand, visit a friend, etc. I just call in a vapor run to dispatch (so they don't get pissed at my unavailability) and go take care of bidness. No amount of money is worth my sanity. Well, maybe huge piles of money. And supermodels. Definitely supermodels.

October 15, 2006 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't go practicing "Lifting the Sky" in the cab....

October 17, 2006 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home