10.30.2006

Stop the Presses!

I was going to make this post about something else, but then I had my last trip of the night/early morning.

I got a call to take someone to the airport. A kid about my age came out, loaded down with bags. He's moving to St. Louis (which NPR told me on the ride back to the garage is now the most dangerous city in the U.S. - worse than Detroit or Compton).

Anyway, I of course asked him why he was moving to St. Lous. The answer?

He's going to start a band with some friends from his hometown in Southern California.

YES, SOMEONE IN THEIR TWENTIES IS MOVING OUT OF PORTLAND TO START A BAND.

If you aren't aware, this is like someone moving out of 60s era San Francisco to become a hippie. This is what people my age do - they move to Portland, and they start bands (or move here together, as an already existing band).

You see, I have the misfortune of living in the hippest city in the United States. Portland is the number one destination for inmigration for people between the ages of 20 and 35. Austin, TX isn't even that close, New York and L.A. are back in the dust. And we aren't just talking percentages here, kid, I'm speaking gross numbers. When I go back to one of my many "home towns" and talk to people there, all the ones my age be all like "Oo, Portland, I hear it's so cool there."

It's rare for me to talk to someone my own age who's lived here more than five years. For most of them, it's less than two.

And every single one of them is in a band.

(And I'm one of them, see? I'm cooler, though, because I've been here 8 years and am in 3 bands)

Anyway, I'd like to salute nice-guy-with-a-pentagram-tattoo-on-his-neck for moving out of Portland to start a band with his friends, even if I almost had a heart attack and nearly needed to pull over when he told me. You are the shit, sir, and are hopefully in the vanguard of a new trend.

I continue to enjoy the early morning fog, and to take pictures of it while driving (NOT SAFE, DO NOT ATTEMPT!). It should be noted, however, that its presence is an almost certain sign of global warming and the inevitable decline and eventual extinction of civilization as we know it.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds exactly like Seattle in the early 90s Grunge years -- all the young musicians moved here to cash in on the big time. Now they've all moved to Portland.

October 30, 2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger MJ06 said...

Cleveland was on the dangerous citys list to number 7 I think. Bye the way it looks like you got a digital camera.

November 01, 2006 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home