12.16.2006

Why I Haven't Been Posting

Sorry it's been so long.

There are a lot of reasons why I haven't been keeping this site up. The two most compelling are:

1) It gets dark at 4:30-5 PM here. I've placed a lot of emphasis on getting to sleep as early as possible, so that I can wake up as early as possible and get some sunlight. It's difficult to explain just how fucked-up and trying it can be to function on zero daylight. When it comes down to either bitching about work, or trying to live healthily, I will always choose the latter.

2) I've always been a writer, and I'd started this blog in the midst of a big slump, largely as a vehicle to get myself writing again. In that, it was succesful. I've actually been doing a lot of writing recently, only on another project. Again, it's an issue of scarce resources - I'd rather devote the time I have available to write (which isn't enough) to something that I find exciting and challenging, and not to rehashing my job.

And there are all kinds of other things: I wasn't happy with the blog's direction, I've been pulling myself out of what was becoming an increasing evident depression, I've been trying to cultivate a romantic life, I seem to have suddenly become a "musician" who "plays shows" (tonight [12/16] at the Cathedral on Mississippi), I'm bored with the internet, etc.

I have been thinking about this space, and what to do with it. It's good to know that there was someone reading and enjoying it, and that provides an impetus to try and re-integrate it into my creative life. I was thinking about this earlier tonight, actually, before I came home and got the anonymous comments in my email. The thing I've been working on draws heavily upon some cab-driving experiences (no, I'm not going all New York Hack and writing a memoir), and so maybe I'll start posting excerpts here or trying to think of other things I can do that will be both interesting and require little in the way of additional effort on my part.

But the important thing to keep in mind right now is that I'm so busy that I'm lazy. So lazy, in fact, that I'm not going to post a very excellent picture that would complement this post perfectly (maybe Monday). I will reccomend, though, the very excellent, Diary of a Mad DC Cabbie (too lazy to make a link, there's one in the sidebar). His blog's basically a much more entertaining version of what I wanted mine to be, to some extent I stopped because he was writing the blog that I wanted to write, so I started writing the book I wanted to read.

I'll hopefully be back in not-too-long.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my comment was meant as a loving jab, but seemed less so after the next two anonymous posts. I always cabbie stories, and it was especially nice to hear from a good friend. I hope all is going well, and if you don't want to post anymore, that's fine, just make sure to keep me posted on your exploits when we run into each other in the real world. -cd

December 17, 2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

I was wondering what happend to you dude! I do appreciate your comment about the stuff I write especially coming from you who is a much better writer than I am. But I tell you one thing, with the line of work we are in it is not easy to find time to sit, think and write for nothing or for free...but there are people out there who are fascinated by what cabbies have to say because we are the eyes and the voices for the streets so get your lazy ass up and start writing.

Good luck with the music!

December 17, 2006 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write well, with interesting insights of your job & parts of your life. It's up to you if you're quitting this blog or to write whatever you want here. There are some loyal readers out there. Just keep us posted.

Good luck,
Eric

December 17, 2006 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep noticing that most of the bloggers start slowing down and then just quitting, due to bordom or whatever? Truely a shame. Some good works here, but as you read down the pages, the writers entusiasm drops and you can feel what is next. It doesn't take long to go that way. Your not alone brother, there are others falling and failing too.

December 22, 2006 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home